Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Chateau Lafite Rothschild

This one particular night was an opportunity of a lifetime to not only taste a great wine, but a historical wine, Chateau Lafite Rothschild 1986 Pauillac. Now not only has this wine and winery been around for centuries the quality of it rarely changes throughout the years. Obviously with age comes some oxidation, color, bouquet, body, taste and cork change but the quality never dissipates. When I saw this exquisite bottle my jaw dropped, my mouth watered and my eyes couldn't believe it, and I knew when the time came to open this bottle the cork it was going to disintegrate, and guess what it did and was already falling apart as I was taking the foil off. Once the cork was out and the wine was decanted the color and clarity of this remarkable feature was still second to none, as I poured the first glass from the decanter and watched this beautiful burgundy brick red liquid fall into its glass I couldn't help but be in awe. Watching as the rest of the table looked with confusion as to what was so special about what they had in front of them I turned back to the gentlemen who had so graciously given this gift and asked if I could get him anything else, he said yes "Another glass for yourself," I could not believe my ears. Of course I returned with a glass so quickly all he did was laugh, but he knew that I knew about Chateau Lafite Rothschild and what that bottle represented. I was very restrained in the amount that I poured for myself considering I didn't want to be greedy but he insisted I have a good taste.  As I swirled my glass opening up the bouquet and layers of flavor all I could say was "WOW," the gentlemen looked at me smiled, looked at his glass and said "Yep," then began to take a sip still with a smile on his face. Once I finally got past looking at the color, bouquet and layers in the glass, I tasted, the complexity yet simplicity of the flavors was overwhelming. Earth, cedar, and black fruits filled my mouth with such as smooth supple tannin it was wondrous, the taste lingered and when the glass was empty it gave a beautiful burgundy hue, I didn't want it to end. I left the table after shaking the gracious gentleman's hand with a very heartfelt thank you, wondering if I will ever get a chance to taste, and give someone the same experience I had. A very big thank you again to you sir!

No comments:

Post a Comment