Thursday, May 22, 2014

The family history treasure hunt

I recently just got back from Napa and while we were there not only did we do wine tasting, we also went on a family history treasure hunt to put into perspective some information we have found earlier. This is my reflection about that part of our trip.

Our first adventure was off up to Geyserville and Dry Creek, which is towards the top of Sonoma County. Of course we took the safe route staying on the freeways. Unfortunately there was major construction going on which delayed the whole process and what was supposed to be a 45 minute drive, took 2 hours. The great part about traffic and being in Napa Valley is the endless views of vineyards, old farms and huge historic estates that you get to see and be in awe over. The trip to Geyserville was the part of our family history hunt. Going up to Geyserville was almost as we were travelling back in time. Very secluded, spread out small farm houses with orchards and vineyards surrounding them. Driving the winding roads along the mountainside, covered in indigenous canopy it was beautiful, relaxing and exciting to see what was to come. Our first stop was at a property that was once owned by my wife's 2nd Great Grandfather, that he bought during the late 1920's and the amazing part was the original bridge, garage, workshop and house were still there. Now understanding that most of these backwoods homes that are not wineries were posted with NO TRESPASSING signs, but being there I had to do it, I trespassed! Luckily for me the gentleman that owned the property was outside up by the house and I was able to talk to him, before he used extreme prejudice and through me off the property. I told him who I was and how I was connected to the property and asked if he knew any of the history that went with it. After I told him this, he was extremely welcoming and told me everything he knew. He had brought the property in the early 1970's from an Italian family named the Bearizzi's and at that time there were NO VINEYARDS!!!! He continued to tell me that all the farmland and valley's were covered in fruit orchards and grapes were nearly non-existent with the exception of a few small vineyards spread around. He gave me a small tour of the property and told me that the entire property spanned over 80 acres, along the mountainside and creek following through the property. I asked if it was part of Dry Creek and he told me, "no this area is actually called Dutcher Creek". I asked him if I could take pictures of the property and he said," yes of course", and I was then on my way. He walked me around showing me where different parts were that he thought I would want pictures of, walked to the end of the property and I was on my way.

The second stop was the Olive Hill Cemetery to visit the family graves and pay our respects. Now this part of our trip is not my glass of wine, but I have to admit as much as I am not always gun-ho about these parts of the adventure, once we are there its always a bit interesting to see what we find. We did end up finding the family grave plot, after driving around all over the cemetery and it was very neat to see and pay our respects.

After visiting the cemetery we were off to Healdsburg where the last property in the area was and unfortunately, the final resting place of Gottfried Wieland (2nd Great Grandfather). Healdsburg is one of the small towns that make up part of the whole area. Charming, beautiful, little town with lots of shops and small boutique restaurants. It was a place I would love to spend more time in. Before the trip started, we looked up more information and tried to find out if there was any place we could search for documents about our family being there and the Museum of Healdsburg was the place to find them. Unfortunately when we got there, they were closed due to construction of a new exhibit opening the following week we were there.

A long day of driving but definitely worth the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment